FOUNDATION-FUNDED P.E. PROGRAM
In addition to regular outdoor activity and physical education in our teachers' weekly plans The Foundation also provides a dedicated, qualified, Physical Education teacher, Coach Sergio. Coach Sergio teaches physical fitness activities and games that are designed to help students meet the State standards for fitness. P.E. is offered to Grades K-5 one hour per week.
P.E. GRADE LEVEL ENRICHMENT
In addition to the P.E. program your child attends throughout the school year, The Foundation has added special P.E. enrichment specifically designed for their grade level. All P.E. Enrichment classes will take place during your child's normal P.E. rotation. This program is partially funded by a $10 registration fee from the Wednesday Enrichment classes. The remaining funds for the program are drawn from the Foundation's general fund.
- Kindergarten - The program will begin in Spring.
- 1st Grade - Basketball is a 5 week program where the 1st graders will go to the YMCA and have a great time playing basketball with the supervision of the YMCA staff and Coach Sergio. The program begins in the February through March timeframe.
- 2nd Grade - Golf - The program will begin in Spring.
- 3rd Grade - Swimming - This is a 8-week program starting April where students go to the YMCA to swim. All students must pass a swimming test. The program is supervised by a YMCA certified lifeguard. The program ends in late May.
- 4th Grade - Tennis is a 4 week program at the YMCA starting in October and ends in November.
- 5th Grade - Lacrosse - is a 4 week program starting in October and ends in November.
WHY OUR FAMILIES, TEACHERS AND ADMINISTRATION THINK P.E. IS IMPORTANT AND WORTH YOUR FOUNDATION DOLLARS - Numerous nationwide and international studies are showing that students who are physically fit are not only healthier but do better in school, have fewer disciplinary problems, and have a better attendance rate.
Read about it:
Fitness tied to children's school performance;
Pediatric News, May, 2010 by Kate Johnson
EXERCISE: A "BRAIN BOOSTER" FOR KIDS,
December 28, 2009 by Cooper Institute Staff